Friday, April 15, 2016

Brunch in Syracuse: Modern Malt vs. Stella's Diner


When it comes to brunch in Syracuse, New York, two places immediately come to mind: Stella's Diner and Modern Malt. Hungry college students flock to these restaurants every Saturday and Sunday morning to get their fix of greasy bacon and scrambled eggs. Today I'll be comparing the two brunch hot spots to see which comes out on top.

Modern Malt

Modern Malt, located in downtown Syracuse's Armory Square, resembles a 50's era diner. The cute decor manages to look modern and retro at the same time. I've only visited Modern Malt once, on a Sunday morning, and had to wait about 25 minutes for a table.

One glance at the menu told me I'd have a hard time picking a meal. Everything looked delicious! Modern Malt offered some of the most unique and creative breakfast options I've ever seen. 

Those with a sweet tooth can order cannoli pancakes, Barney Rubble French toast (encrusted in Fruity Pebbles!), s'mores stuffed French toast, or carrot cake waffles. Savory options included pig Benedict (which is basically eggs Benedict with pork belly), a gyro omelette, a Mexican-inspired West Buena omelette, and lobster Benedict. Modern Malt even has General Tso's chicken and waffles (!!!), a tuna poke, a pulled pork breakfast sandwich, and an extensive poutine menu. Gotta love French fries smothered in cheese curds and gravy! 

I was extremely tempted to order the breakfast poutine made with tater tots, cheese curds, and poached egg. But instead I decided on the breakfast taco: scrambled egg, chorizo, pico, cheese, jalepeno, and guacamole stuffed in two flour tortillas. The $12 tacos tasted delicious! The peppers and chorizo added the perfect amount of spice, while the cheese and guacamole gave the dish a smooth texture. The only downside of the meal was the toast. The bread choices were either wheat or rye, neither of which is my favorite. I also ordered a few cups of the tasty bold coffee. 

Jake, my boyfriend, ordered three scrambled eggs with bacon, toast, herb-roasted potatoes, and a short stack of pancakes (pictured at top of post). He ate everything on his plate and was highly satisfied with his meal, which cost $11. 

Modern Malt is pretty expensive; I actually thought the meals were overpriced. However, the creativity of the menu made up for the cost. Modern Malt also serves lunch and dinner. In fact, it's open until 4 AM on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I guess people crave some hearty breakfast food after a night of bar crawling.

Stella's Diner 


Walking into Stella's Diner is also like taking a time machine back to 1950. Inside the metallic silver building you'll find cozy booths, Betty Boop decor, and a breakfast bar. I've never had brunch at Stella's without waiting at least 20 minutes for a table, but the food is absolutely worth the wait. 

Stella's serves up traditional diner breakfast fare like scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, and omelettes. I give a five-star rating to every item that I've tried. The eggs Benedict are my go-to; they're creamy, flavorful, and indulgent. I'm also obsessed with the buttery grits and fluffy pancakes. 

When I took my mom to Stella's, she ordered an omelette with onion, spinach, and Swiss cheese. She still talks about her omelette five months later, saying it was the best she's ever had. 

There is one downside to the food: everything is loaded with butter. I guess the extra butter gives the food its five-star flavor rating, but I always leave Stella's feeling bloated and gross. 

I always judge a restaurant by its coffee, and Stella's passes the test. The coffee is bold but not bitter and goes down smoothly, which is why I'll drink five cups without realizing it. The waitresses constantly stop by your table to fill your cup with fresh hot jo. 
Another benefit of Stella's is the price. A large platter with scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and pancakes will only set you back about $7. The diner also serves lunch and dinner. 

Verdict

Go to Stella's Diner if you're looking for traditional breakfast fare at a cheap price. Go to Modern Malt if you're seeking a fancier brunch with unique and delicious food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment