Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge

The Brooklyn Bridge may be constantly packed with slow-walking tourists yielding cameras, but the famous landmark also gives some of the best views of the Manhattan skyline. I feel it’s a crime to live in New York City and never walk across the bridge, which has connected the boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan since 1883. As you stroll along the suspended structure, some of the most famous sights in the world lay right in front of you: the Statue of Liberty and Freedom Tower to the left, the Empire State Building to the right, and even the buildings surrounding Time Square and Grand Central Station.
The Brooklyn Bridge has special meaning to me in particular. On the last night I saw Jake before I spent a semester in Germany, we walked across at sunset and shared many heartfelt words. Now I always associate the bridge with love and hopeful futures. 
Last week I walked with my mom from Brooklyn to Manhattan, and the views were even better than she thought. She told me she felt like Miranda Hobbs (shout-out to any Sex and the City fans who understand the reference!) and that everyone should be able to visit the Brooklyn Bridge in their lifetime. I felt so lucky and happy to share such a beautiful landmark with her.
If you’re visiting New York City in the future, don’t forget to add the Brooklyn Bridge to your itinerary.

No comments:

Post a Comment