Thursday, January 29, 2015

Does A "Typical" College Experience Actually Exist?

Picture any college from any movie, with the beautiful campus, buzz of student life, rows of pristine frat houses. Now add about three feet of snow and you get Syracuse. Everything about my school just screams "COLLEGE," and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now, despite going to a typical university, I really don't think I'm the typical university student. I've only been to a handful of frat parties and wound up disgusted by the sticky floors and mobs of sweaty boys. I take on way too many extracurriculars and actually enjoy some of my classes. I have a steady boyfriend when many of my peers are wholeheartedly involved in the "hook up" culture.

But, that got me thinking, does a typical college experience actually exist?

No, I don't think it does. College is what you make of it. You can be a super outgoing, bubbly girl who serves as the president of her sorority, or you can be the studious girl who stays in on Saturday nights, and have an amazing college experience either way. Everyone has a different vision of what college will entail for them, and staying true to that vision is key for happiness. The trouble starts when you struggle to fit into the typical college mold and end up failing, like trying to fit a square into a circle.

Take me for example, when I turned down an invitation to go bowling in order to go a frat party. I would've had more fun bowling, but every else goes to frat parties, why shouldn't I? Or, by contrast, someone who doesn't go to frat parties but regrets her decision every weekend.

College is a time to have fun and discover yourself. Just make sure you discovering the true version of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment