Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Winter Weather Essentials


Syracuse is really, really cold. The current temperature is -6 degrees Fahrenheit, but -22 degrees if you include the windchill. Students jokingly refer to Syracuse as the "tundra," but I don't think the reference is much of a joke. Going to school in the cold can be a struggle. But no matter how numb my legs get walking across campus, or how many times I bruise my butt by tripping on the ice-covered sidewalks (true story), I really do love my school and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Here are a few of my cold weather essentials to get me through the frigid Syracuse winter:

Warm clothes

I practically live in my obnoxiously chunky knee-length jacket, snow boots, and chunky scarves. If I don't bundle up to an absurd degree, my body literally stings from the cold. A closet full of oversized sweaters and cardigans doesn't hurt either.

(Here are similar pieces to my winter ensemble in the pictures: jacket, scarf, boots. I'm also obsessed with my warm knit hat.)

Soothing moisturizers

Face lotion, hand lotion, body lotion... you can never have enough moisturizer to fight the dry, flaky, itchy skin that inevitably accompanies cold weather and overpowered heaters. My lotions of choice are Suave Smoothing with Cocoa Butter & Shea Body Lotion for my body and Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with sunscreen SPF15 for my face. I love the luxurious scents of the Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works lotions, but the additives for the scents make my dry skin burn. I also always have a Burt's Bees lip balm on hand.

Hydrating hair products

To bring back some moisture and shine to dry hair, I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner. OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum is also incredible – it creates shine that doesn't look oily.


Relaxing candles

I know a lot of bloggers and YouTubers swear by the Bath & Body Works candles, but I prefer Yankee Candle. I find that the scent is stronger and the candle burns for a longer time. My favorite scents this winter are Cinnamon Stick and Vanilla Cupcake.

A hearty supply of coffee and tea


As a caffeine addict, trust me when I say cup of joe is always ten times more tempting in chilly weather. This year, I've been loving Tim Hortons K-Cups for my Keurig. I also like Donut-Shop Coffee. Tea isn't my caffeinated drink of choice, but I'll occasionally opt for a mug of English Breakfast tea with almond milk.

Netflix, books, magazines, and anything else that will keep you occupied inside


When I don't have class, I sometimes can't bring myself to brace the negative temperatures outside. My lazy days are spent catching up on TV shows (The Vampire Diaries and Grey's Anatomy), working on my blog, and reading my favorite magazines.

What are your winter weather essentials?

No comments:

Post a Comment