Monday, May 18, 2015

My Favorite Magazines


I'm a self-proclaimed magazine hoarder. As a college senior majoring in magazine journalism, reading and reviewing magazines is practically homework for me. I've read most major magazines on the market, and I've even landed internships for two national publications. I don't adhere to a particular genre, either; I enjoy magazines covering travel, fashion, beauty, culture, food, and even celebrity news.

Today, I thought I'd talk about my current favorite magazines in each genre. Enjoy the list and let me know what your favorite magazines are!
_______________

Fashion/Beauty: Glamour has practical fashion and beauty advice, featuring affordable items and looks that can be easily incorporated into your everyday routine. InStyle is also a great fashion-focused magazine that deals largely with celebrity style.

Women's Lifestyle: Marie Claire is my favorite all-around women's magazine, running everything from fashion tips and beauty ideas to career advice and women's issues.

Travel: Afar magazine may be a bit aspirational, but its focus on "experiential travel" advises the reader on how to become fully immersed in the culture of another country. The personal essays are inspirational, while the descriptions of travel destinations make me want to buy a plane ticket ASAP!

Food: Food Network Magazine not only has delicious recipes but also includes fun food, restaurant, and cooking news (and also appearances from Food Network stars!)

Life/Culture: Vanity Fair covers popular culture (movies, TV shows, music, celebrities), fashion, politics, and other current events. The stories are longer and more in-depth compared to most other magazines on my list, but I always walk away from the publication feeling more knowledgable.

Health: Self magazine talks about all things health and wellness with a fun, friendly tone. Since the magazine is transitioning into the "women's lifestyle" genre,  it also features fashion and beauty articles.

Celebrity News: People was the first magazine I ever read, and it continues to be one of my favorites. I gotta have some celebrity gossip! People always has reliable journalism, which differentiates it from most other celebrity tabloids.

Weddings: Martha Stewart Weddings is an absolutely beautiful magazine, filled with great pictures and beautifully written editorial. I'm proud to be a 2015  summer intern for this magazine!

Home Decor: I don't own a home, but I still enjoy reading about home decor/organization. HGTV Magazine is my favorite magazine for anything home-related. Not only does it include articles about design and decoration, it also features fun life tips as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment