Monday, June 8, 2015

New York State of Mind

I'm in New York City! Last week, I packed my bags and relocated to the city for a summer internship at Martha Stewart Weddings magazine. I'll be here until the middle of August, crammed in a tiny dorm on the Lower East Side. I had an amazing experience living in New York City last summer and I'm beyond excited for the opportunity to work here again.

Last summer, I checked pretty much every NYC tourist trap off of my bucket list. Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, Little Italy, the Empire State Building, Central Park, the Met, Coney Island... the list goes on. But on one of my last weekends in the Big Apple, my boyfriend and I decided to skip busy Midtown and try a Mexican restaurant in the less-touristy Lower East Side. The space was tiny and jammed with locals, but the great atmosphere and delicious tortas made the restaurant one of my favorites in Manhattan.  

This year, I'm determined to dig a little deeper into the real life and culture of New York City. Sure, I'll bring guests to Times Square and take walks in Central Park. And I'll check the last tourist attractions off of my list. But I also want to find the best coffee in Manhattan, eat at tiny restaurants with great cuisine, and explore the bar scene. 

Here is my bucket list for the summer:

1. Explore the Lower East Side. I can't believe I lived here last summer without taking advantage of the hip bar and restaurant scene. 

2. See a Broadway play (My parents are taking me to The Book of Mormon soon!) 

3. Go to Katz's Delicatessen – one of the most popular delis in NYC located in the Lower East Side

4. Eat at these restaurants, based on recommendations: Brindle RoomBarrio Chino, 5 Napkin Burger, The Commons Chelsea

5. Visit Roosevelt Island

6. Visit Governor's Island 

7. Walk on the campus of NYU and Columbia University

8. Meander around the Chelsea Market

9. Explore Brooklyn (I've been told to visit Williamsburg) 

10. Take the Staten Island Ferry

11. Have a picnic in Central Park

Let me know of any restaurants or activities I should add to my list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment