Tuesday, February 23, 2016

New York City Apartment: Bedroom Inspiration

Since I'm moving to New York City to pursue a career in magazine journalism, my mom and I have been obsessed with planning and decorating my future apartment. She's an interior design whiz who sees the potential in every space. I'm an organizing freak who taught myself about home decor through my favorite blogs and HGTV shows. Together we're trying to convert a tiny NYC apartment into a cozy and functional living space.

Of course I'll share updates once we start the actual decorating process, but today I thought I'd talk about my interior design inspiration for my future bedroom.

A cozy feminine bedspread
Picking out the perfect bedspread is always the hardest part of the bedroom decorating process for me. I have some strict requirements: it has to be plush and cozy with a not-too-busy pattern in relaxing neutral shades. My search led me to this Martha Stewart Collection Regal Filigree 22-Pc. Comforter Set, which I found at Macy's for $85 (it's originally $400!). The set comes with a comforter, bedskirt, curtains, valences, throw pillows, and more. As soon as I saw it, I knew it suited my tastes perfectly. We nabbed it for less than 25% of the original price, and now I can't wait to decorate my bedroom around the beautiful gray-and-green pattern.

Soft paint colors
When it comes to paint, I'm drawn to soft colors on the cool end of the spectrum. I find that these calming shades help me relax, and they look pleasing in most rooms. My two favorite paint colors at the moment are Sea Salt and Comfort Gray by Sherwin-Williams. How cute would they look on my bedroom walls when paired with the above comforter?

Complementary furniture
Given my cool-toned bedspread and paint colors, I decided that my furniture should be some shade of grayish-brown. My mom recently painted her bathroom cabinets in Urban Bronze by Sherwin-Williams, and we both fell in love with the results. I want to paint my headboard and bedroom furniture in the same hue. Urban Bronze would look great with Sea Salt and Comfort Gray, and it's incredibly similar to the shade of my throw pillows and curtains.


Unique decor 
I'm a sucker for whimsical artwork, vintage clocks, and one-of-a-kind trinkets. I haven't picked out any decor items yet, but I've been eyeing the city prints by Ork Posters because they add a bit of personality and charm to your living space. I might buy this Berlin poster (since I studied abroad in the city for four months) or this Queens poster (since my apartment will probably be in Queens). 

I also like the idea of New York City-inspired wall art; I just have to ensure I pick one that's not too tacky or tourist-y. My favorites so far are this three-piece painting from Wayfair, this digital watercolor print from ArtPrintsVicky on Etsy, and all of the NYC artwork from ClareCaulfield on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment