Sunday, August 24, 2014

Next Stop: Germany

It's finally here! I've dreamed of studying abroad in Germany since eighth grade, and today I'm hopping on a flight to Berlin with two suitcases and a backpack. I'm spending this semester taking classes at Freie University in Berlin, with plans to travel and explore Europe during my convenient three day weekends. It's actually happening, but I still can't believe it!

Why Berlin? Since I'm part German and my dad travelled to Germany for business when I was little, I decided to start studying the German language in eighth grade. I stuck with it through high school and declared a German minor in college (to accompany my magazine journalism major). Traveling has always been a passion of mine and I knew I wanted to study abroad in college. Given my history with the German language, I didn't even consider studying abroad in any other country. And now here I am, waiting out a five hour layover in the Newark airport!

I'm taking four classes while abroad but have plenty of time to travel around. Through my program, I'm going to Prague and Nuremberg in September. I also plan to take advantage of the cheap travel expenses in Europe to visit neighboring counties like Switzerland and Austria, as well as other German cities besides Berlin. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know! My schedule is completely blank right now.

This won't be my first time in Europe. My dad actually took me for a week-and-a-half after my high school graduation, where we made our way to Germany (Berlin, Munich, Heidelberg, Frankfurt, Trier, Rothenberg), Austria (Innsbruck), France, and Luxembourg. I had such a fun and memorable vacation, but we didn't stay anywhere for more than a few days. This summer I get to actually immerse myself in German life and culture, while hopefully practicing my language skills along the way. I couldn't be happier!

What does this mean for Meet Me In Midtown? I created this blog as a way to document my journeys and share them with others, so I'm going to be blogging about my study abroad experience! I'll also continue to post my typical lifestyle/college/inspiration posts in order to have a nice mix of content. I'm super excited to share my experiences on my blog!

Here are some pictures from my last trip to Germany:


No comments:

Post a Comment