Thursday, August 6, 2015

Recently Read Review: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella


Today I have my first book-related post on Meet Me in Midtown, which I’m very excited about! I used to be an avid reader in elementary and middle school, starting off with the Junie B. Jones books in first grade and eventually obsessing over the Harry Potter and Twilight sagas. I’ll even admit that I attended an early showing of Twilight when it hit theaters (commence cringing). While my busy schedule allows less time for reading now, I’m still trying to work through some of the novels piling up on my bookshelf.
First on the list: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella, which initially caught my eye because I love everything related to the 1920’s.
Overview:
Lara Lington is a twenty-something girl living in London and struggling with her love life and career when Sadie, the spirit of her 105-year-old great aunt, pays her a visit. Taking the form of her twenty-year-old self, Sadie still acts and dresses like she’s living in the 1920’s. Lara sets out to help Sadie fulfill her final wish of finding a necklace that she can’t rest peacefully without. On their quest, Sadie helps Lara learn a lot about her family, her relationships, her career, and herself.
Opinion:
First of all, Twenties Girl epitomizes the “chick flick” genre of books. I love an entertaining chick flick sometimes, but those of you who don’t like this type of novel should stay away from Kinsella’s work. Twenties Girl is the first novel I read by the author and I quite liked her style of writing. The friendly tone and simple sentences made for a quick and enjoyable read. Some parts of the plot seemed a little predictable, specifically in the romance department, but other scenes took me by surprise and kept me on my toes. Even though I found Lara’s problems very relatable, I couldn’t really find anything unique or interesting about her character. Sadie, on the other hand, stole the show. She’s funny, loud, outspoken, and also a bit irritating at times, but the annoyingness contributes to her charm.
Rating: 4/5
Twenties Girl is perfect for a light, entertaining beach read. I enjoyed the novel but didn’t have any moments where I simply had to know what happened next, meaning I wasn’t super attached to the characters or plot. I’d still recommend if you’re looking for an easy and fun read!

No comments:

Post a Comment