Thursday, September 3, 2015

6 Fiction Books I Want to Read

I've been a bookworm for as long as I can remember. In elementary school, I spent my bus rides tucked inside of a Junie B. Jones or Boxcar Children book (remember those?!). I chose to read novels instead of my assigned textbooks during middle school study hall. And then, in high school and college, my avid reading came to a standstill as coursework and responsibilities piled up.

One of my goals this year is to read more for pleasure. Reading inspires me, de-stresses me, and helps improve my writing, so I have no reason to let my busy schedule get in the way of my novels this year.

Here are several books that top my "to read" list. Let me know if you any opinions of the selections, or if you recommend any other novel!

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins 
I've been seeing this book – a mystery/thriller that's dubbed the next Gone Girl – everywhere lately. I  recently downloaded the audiobook version  to keep me company in some upcoming car rides. I haven't gotten very far, but I really like the plot and writing style so far. Expect a review when I finish!

The Infernal Devices Trilogy (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, Clockwork Princess) by Cassandra Clare  
This young adult trilogy goes hand-in-hand with the Mortal Instrument series by the same author. I haven't read any of Clare's novels, but the Victorian-era supernatural plot intrigues me. 

The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz Williams 
This book is a bit more off the radar, but I read the an excerpt in a magazine and immediately became hooked by the romance, mystery, and drama.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 
I've been wanting to read this classic for years but haven't gotten around to it. That has to change!

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi 
After reading a few reviews of Shatter Me, a young adult dystopian novel, I skimmed over the preview on Amazon. I was immediately struck by the short and choppy sentences, some of which were completely crossed out. At first I thought this writing style would annoy me, but as I read through the preview,  I realized the structure is supposed to capture the narrator's stream of consciousness. I found myself drawn to the unique writing and the storyline. I'm excited to read this one!

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Like most high school students, I read The Great Gatsby as part of my curriculum. I loved the book but I don't think I properly appreciated the characters, plot, and symbolism – probably because I felt resentful that I had to read it. I want to give this classic another shot (and perhaps pick up some writing cues from the Great Fitzgerald!)

All photos from Amazon 

No comments:

Post a Comment