Thursday, September 24, 2015

Review: Eat Nakd by Natural Balance Foods



Natural Balance Foods, a UK-based company that embraces the wholefood movement, recently reached out to see if I'd like to try their Eat Nakd granola bars. Given my love for quick snacks, and the promising ingredients in the Nakd bars, I thought I'd take up the opportunity.

(Note: Natural Balance Foods sent me these bars for review, but all opinions are honest and completely my own.)

Eat Nakd bars are marketed as raw, natural, and unprocessed snacks. They have no added sugars or syrups (dates serve as a sweetener), and they're completely free of GMOs, gluten, wheat, and dairy. What's more, they're 100% vegan. The bars are simply made of cold-pressed fruits and nuts "smooshed" together. Also worth noting, the dried fruit and nuts are very iron-rich foods.

I'm really trying to improve my health and fitness this semester, so the nutritious benefits of the bar really excited me. 

Natural Balance Foods sent me an sampler kit with tons of yummy flavors, including...

  • Cocoa Mint
  • Cocoa Orange
  • Pecan Pie
  • Ginger Bread
  • Cocoa Delight
  • Cashew Cookie
  • Caffe Mocha
  • Berry Delight
  • Rhubarb and Custard
  • Strawberry Protein Crunch
  • Banana Protein Crunch
  • Apple Protein Crunch
  • Cocoa Protein Crunch 
  • Bakewell Tart
I tried most of the flavors, and I couldn't believe how great they all tasted! The texture of the Eat Nakd bars is soft and chewy, and I would describe it as cake-y and dense.


Since all of the bars contain similar dried fruits and nuts (mainly cashews), each flavor has only minor differentiations in taste. My favorite flavor so far is Cocoa Delight. The ingredient list is simple: dates (48%), cashews (29%), raisins (17%), cocoa (6%), and natural flavor. That's it! I could taste the chocolate undertones, but it didn't overpower the flavor of the dried fruit and nuts.

Some other especially tasty flavors were Rhubarb & Custard, Cocoa Mint, and Strawberry Crunch. 

However, I have one minor complaint about the Eat Nakd snacks; I encountered something hard about halfway through my Rhubarb and Custard one. The package warns that some bars may contain the odd shell or pit piece, and I immediately knew the object was part of a pit. I simply tossed the piece aside, which was a minor inconvenience but also testifies to the freshness and purity of the ingredients in the Nakd bars.

Overall, I would recommend the bar to anyone looking for a healthy snack. Natural Balance Foods As of now, they are available to American customers at www.eatnakd.com and www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment