Monday, September 21, 2015

Healthy Almond Butter and Banana Smoothie


I've never been a breakfast person. Throughout high school and college, I'd simply grab a granola bar as I headed out the door and eat it en route to class. Not surprisingly, the hunger pains would hit well before lunchtime. I knew I needed more sustenance in the morning, but couldn't bring myself to wake up earlier and whip up some scrambled eggs or a yogurt parfait.

The solution came when I got my NutriBullet and discovered breakfast smoothies. I bought a bunch of ingredients and came up with a smoothie recipe I love. Not only is the drink deliciously addictive, it also couldn't be simpler to make – all you do is throw the five ingredients into a blender and mix them together.


THE INGREDIENTS 
  • One tub (about 5-6 oz.) of yogurt. I prefer Greek, but feel free to use any type of yogurt you want
  • One medium-sized ripe banana
  • 2 tbsp. almond butter or peanut butter
  • 1 cup of milk (or milk alternative, like almond milk) 
  • Ground cinnamon 

You also need a blender or NutriBullet. Once you mix the ingredients together, the final result is a sweet, tasty, and somewhat thick drink. 


This smoothie keeps my hunger pains away until lunch, which is one reason I rely on it every morning. The almond butter and Greek yogurt pack on the protein, and the yogurt also provides calcium and probiotic cultures. The tasty cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, the banana adds sweetness, and the almond milk makes the mixture more liquid-like.

Perhaps the best part of the smoothie, though, is that it takes less than five minutes to prepare! 

Tell me: What is your go-to healthy breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment