Thursday, September 10, 2015

Photo Diary: The National Mall in Washington, D.C.

I've visited Washington, D.C., a few times in my life, but my boyfriend and I decided to pop over during our Labor Day weekend together in Baltimore. We only had one afternoon to spend in the nation's capital, so we chose to pass on the Smithsonian museums (which we'd already seen in the past) and walk around the National Mall instead.

The sprawling green fields and iconic monuments inspired me to whip out my camera and take a few snapshots – despite the crazy 95-degree heat!

I couldn't help feeling overwhelmed as I stood underneath the Washington Monument at the center of the Mall. Turning my head, I could see countless historical landmarks surrounding me. In one direction, the United States Capitol building looks grand and opulent (despite some distracting construction on the rotunda).

Ninety-degrees to the left is the White House, with its flawless lawn and sturdy gates. Tourists, like me, lined the fence to capture some pictures.

The Lincoln Memorial stands across from the Capitol, behind sprawling fields and the Reflecting Pool. The World War II Memorial is at the base of the pool.

Many historical events, like Martin Luther King, Jr.'s  "I Have a Dream" speech, happened on the shallow steps of the Lincoln Memorial. And let's not forget Forrest Gump's experience here!

A marble statue of Abraham Lincoln flanks the back wall inside of the memorial. 

And, finally, the white bricks of the Washington Monument anchor the center of the National Mall. The structure glimmers in the Reflecting Pool.

Besides the memorials and structures, I love the clean landscapes, beautiful buildings, friendly atmosphere, and old-time charm of Washington, D.C. Have you ever been to D.C.? What is your favorite part? 

No comments:

Post a Comment