Monday, June 30, 2014

Confessions of a Night Owl


I have a love hate-relationship with my snooze button. The minute my phone starts playing my annoyingly loud, cringe-inducing alarm in the morning, I practically punch my snooze button in annoyance. I hit my snooze again when the alarm goes off nine minutes later. And then I hit it again, and again, and again, until I finally drag myself out of bed.

Half of the problem is that I'm simply not a morning person. No matter how many cups of coffee I drink or how much cold water I splash on my face, I still feel like a zombie until about noon. The other half of my "snooze button problem" is that I have trouble going to bed at a decent time. I may be tired and groggy all day, but as bedtime approaches I inevitably get a burst of energy. Suddenly there are a million-and-a-half things I would rather do than go to bed, and those things need to be done right then.

So, here are 10 things I typically do late at night when I should be sleeping:

1. Organize my room. I rarely feel like cleaning, so when the urge starts in the wee hours of the night, I'm obviously doing myself a favor by tidying up. Right?

2. Watch Netflix. Actually, binge-watch Netflix. While stuffing my face with some sort of homemade Mexican food.

3. Skype with my boyfriend. This one is a bit more justified, but our Skype sessions tend to be hours long. Some even involve watching movies. (We only Skype when we're apart in the summer. During the school year, we do the most random things at night... like make up trivia games or walk 20 minutes to get tea).

4. Order food. Why do Chinese takeout and buffalo wing cravings hit the hardest anytime after 11 p.m.?

5. Read books. I've always been a little bookworm, but I haven't had much time to read lately. The inspiration to start reading again always kicks in, without fail, after the sun sets.

6. Treat myself to a full-blown manicure, which especially delays my sleep schedule because crawling into bed with wet nails is a pretty impossible task.

7. Start a blog. True story.

8. Start a DIY project. If I don't start at midnight, it may never get done!

9. Go through every single one of the 1,200 pictures on my phone.

10. Stare at the ceiling. Plain white walls are never as entertaining as when you're supposed to be sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment